This bacon cheeseburger wrapped in a puff pastry roll is easy to make and elegant to serve.
Prep Time: 30 minutesEdit
Cook Time: 20 minutesEdit
Total Time: 50 minutesEdit
- 1 pound ground beef (ground chuck recommended).
- 6 slices bacon, chopped.
- 1 cup diced sweet onion (about 1 medium onion).
- 1/2 cup diced sweet red bell pepper (capsicum).
- 4 cloves garlic, minced.
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed between palms.
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 green onions (scallions), thin-sliced with green tops included.
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- 2 sheets (17.3-ounce box) puff pastry, thawed.
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (or your favorite).
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten with a fork.
Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a jellyroll pan with parchment paper.
Place ground beef, bacon, and sweet onion in a large, deep skillet and saute until bacon has rendered its fat and onions are translucent. Break up the ground beef as you saute. Drain well.
Add red bell pepper and garlic to the ground beef. Saute an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in oregano, basil, green onions, and ketchup. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let cool to room temperature.
Place one sheet of puff pastry between two sheets of plastic wrap and gently roll out to a rectangle about 12 inches by 10 inches. Remove the top piece of plastic wrap. Spread half of the ground beef mixture on puff pastry, leaving 1 inch clear on each of the four sides. Sprinkle with half of the Cheddar cheese.
Use the bottom piece of the plastic wrap to help you roll the puff pastry and filling lengthwise into a log. Use the egg white as glue to seal the roll. Gently press both ends closed. Using the plastic wrap, lift the roll onto the prepared jellyroll pan and place seam-side down. Repeat process with the remaining sheet of puff pastry.
Brush the tops of the bacon cheeseburger puff rolls with egg white and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Let rest for 10 minutes, then slice each roll on the diagonal into 4 pieces to serve.
Yield: 8 servings