Candied bacon is bacon taken to the next salty-sweet level of sheer awesome!
It can be eaten on its own, used as a garnish on cocktails or sundaes, or included as part of other recipes, like burgers, sandwiches, or salads.
- Baking tray
- Baking paper
- 1 pound Bacon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees
- Line the baking tray with the baking paper.
- Mix the brown sugar with the pepper.
- Lay the strips of bacon out on the paper-lined tray
- Bake for 8-9 minutes, the bacon should look almost cooked, but not yet crisp.
- Take the bacon out of the oven and using your hand sprinkle one side liberally with the sugar-pepper mixture.
- Place back in the oven for 4-5 minutes
The sugar should then have caramelized and the bacon should be crisp. Leave the bacon to cool for approximately 10 minutes; once it can be handled eat within a few hours. They don't keep well.
- Caramalized sugar is the cooking equivalent of napalm, keep it away from your skin when it's hot.
- Maple-glazed bacon derives its sweetness from maple syrup.